Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Letter #5: From Gerrick to Elenwen

(The following letter was heavily edited and rewritten several times before being delivered.)

7th of Heartfire, 4E 201

To the Esteemed Elenwen, First Emissary of the Thalmor:

To begin with, I must regretfully report that Tragrim’s plan to ambush Kethrina outside of Riften failed utterly. He and his people fought well, but were killed. Since, as per orders, I was out of sight distance from the fight, I can not adequately describe exactly what happened. However, after the sounds of fighting ceased, I approached the area.

My lady, every member of the force was literally frozen solid. Even after witnessing Kethrina’s magic on numerous occasions, I could hardly believe it myself. That school must be shut down! The guards did not see the battle, nor will they ever see the “frozen statues” she made. I disposed of the bodies before sunrise to prevent any such difficulties. A gang of dead bandits just outside of the city would have roused the Jarl and even the usually indifferent Maven Black-Briar (who of course is the greatest power in Riften).

I dislike criticizing the strategies and actions of my colleagues, especially after they die in service to the Dominion, but I must say it was a mistake for Tragrim to have used only Thalmor and not non-elven agents. I believe we have now only increased the traitor’s suspicions of us.

I’m afraid I can not provide a copy of the threatening note Kethrina received. According to witnesses at Candlehearth Hall, she threw it into the fire with an expression of disdain.

Kethrina has reserved her room for several nights. Between Windhelm being Ulfric’s base of operations and her actions making her into a local hero, she believes herself safe. It is possible she is devoting some time exclusively to solving the fragmented image puzzle. I am pleased you notified me there was no content on the device containing our secrets, although it begs the question what is she assembling? I will monitor her progress along with her movements and notify you of what happens.

Sincerely Yours,

Gerrick

For the glory of the Aldmeri Dominion!

No comments:

Post a Comment