Sunday, September 16, 2012

Journal Entry #7: Death and Daedra

28th of Heartfire, 4E 201

Lately I’ve looking into a number of legends I’ve been hearing or reading about. Skyrim is full of them. There was Red Eagle’s Bane, sought by the Forsworn. Then there’s Gauldur’s Amulet. I found two pieces of it, but I need access to Saarthal to get the third. I’ve heard the College of Winterhold is working there, so I suppose I’ll need to gain membership.

I’m not sure I want to join. I was briefly a member of the Synod when I was still living in Cyrodiil, and I hated the politics and the constant competing with the College of Whispers.

While I’ve been debating that, I’ve been doing other jobs. I found a hollow chamber inside an iceberg north of Winterhold where a wizard was residing. He was trying to open a giant Dwemer puzzle box, and he needed an Elder Scroll to do it. Of course anyone who isn’t a Moth Priest can’t read one of those, but he had found a way, a loophole that the Dwemer discovered. He gave me a blank Lexicon, and with Septimus’s direction I was able to inscribe the knowledge of an Elder Scroll onto it at Tower of Mzark.

Hermaeus MoraI didn’t expect to meet Hermaeus Mora in the form of a black and purple maelstrom. Meeting him makes me wonder what’s really in that puzzle box. Septimus thinks it’s the Heart of Lorkhan, at least that’s what I think he’s referring to.

While I was searching for that tower, I found the remains of Sinderion. He died years ago, before I was even born, but it felt sad seeing his remains. I studied Sinderion, read all of his works. I even performed his same experiments with nirnroot when I was young (which, considering the rareness of the plant, was not easy). In honor of him, I helped to finish his research. I gathered thirty samples of the crimson nirnroot he was searching for, and then gave them to Avrusa Sarethi, his former student.

One of the more pleasant things I did lately (in the end at least) was helping to reinstate the Burning of King Olaf. It meant going through yet another ruin, only this time I was following a ghost (who I later learned was Svaknir). Now if only he had helped us restore the damaged King Olaf’s Verse.

That act gave me admittance to the Bards College, although most of the other bards don’t see me as a bard. I play the flute well, but most of the teachers and students see me as only a sword-wielding drudge. The only thing the instructors have me do is recover one famous instrument after another.

Burning of King OlafStill, it was nice to watch King Olaf burn, especially after I had to fight and kill the bastard.

I stopped by Winterhold after leaving Septimus’s place last night. I was about to head into the Frozen Hearth when I heard sounds of fighting. I grabbed my sword and helped the guards fight a vampire and two of his thralls.

Thankfully no innocents were killed. I fear what would happen if Harkon’s vampires attacked a large city. If they were to attack bandits or necromancers instead of innocents, I wouldn’t have a problem with them. But these predators don’t have that control, or maybe it’s desire for control.

I can’t delay any longer. I must return to Isran.

No comments:

Post a Comment