Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Gerrick Journal Entry #1: Controlling Panic

8th of Heartfire, 4E 201

What should I do?

I sneaked into Kethrina’s room last night when she should have been heavily sleeping. I know she drank several cups of an herbal tea she made to combat headaches. It should have dulled the headache pain and allowed her to sleep. She wasn’t in the room.

Her bed had been slept in, her bags were by the door where she dropped them, and her journal and other documents on the table in the room. Where is she?

She could have answered a call of nature, but I watched her room door all night, and she never exited it. She could have exited via a window, but they were closed and latched from the inside, and she would have taken her belongings besides.

Where is she?! I can’t lose her again. I was able to recover my reputation once when she fled to Pyandonea, but I’ll never be able to do it again. If I lose her again, I’ll lose this assignment and quite possibly my position. There would be an investigation that could also reveal secrets and actions I’ve hidden from Elenwen during this assignment, the lies I told, that I was responsible for Tragrim’s attack. It would mean my life, and whether it would be by Elenwen’s or Kethrina’s hands would be beside the point!

We KnowThe threatening note she wrote of is here, a simple imprint of a hand with the words “We know” beneath it. Any one of her suspicions could be correct, but the handprint also suggests the Dark Brotherhood. Could they have taken her? Why?

Do they want to kill her for stealing their contract? No, if they did they would have simply killed her here in the room, perhaps with this note left beside her body. No, that doesn’t make sense. Kethrina is alive. She must be alive. I must believe she is alive!

But this other note … oh my gods …

I know too, Gerrick.

I’m finished. If Elenwen learns I have been discovered … how did she know? When did she know? What has she learned from me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment