Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Diary Entry #5: Sleeping Dragon

29th of Evening Star, 4E 201

It’s been about five months since Ulfric’s rebellion began. Now, in the twilight of the year, I wonder if it will ever end.

I may not be able to do much of anything about the civil war, but at least now I know what I can do regarding the dragons.

Ascending the mountain to High Hrothgar was one of the most exhilarating, and the most terrifying, experiences in my life.

High Hrothgar

Ambarys convinced me to go after a very long talk (frequently interrupted by the space sphere, annoying contraption). I wasn’t even certain I would be allowed inside, let alone permitted to speak with the Greybeards, and yet I was.

After they taught me what I needed to know, and I retrieved Jurgen Windcaller’s horn, Arngeir explained his theory for why I had become a Dragonborn.

He told me there are people in this world with dormant gifts, he described them as sleeping dragons in their souls, and that I was one such person. Akatosh gave the gift of the Voice to Kethrina because he needed someone who would protect mortalkind from the dragons. When Kethrina abandoned that destiny, Akatosh needed a new champion.

I can see how that could be. These dragons have killed many people, and left many others homeless. Someone has to face them. As much as I hate fighting, as much as I’m tired of killing, I’m realistic enough to know that these giant talking lizards aren’t just going to go away.

Still I wonder, why me?

No comments:

Post a Comment