Monday, October 22, 2012

Diary Entry #3: Incomprehension

10th of Evening Star, 4E 201

I am still staring at its corpse.

I was passing Rockwallow Mine on the way to Morthal. The miners had finished work for the day and were lounging around their campfire. I could immediately they were tense, frightened.

Dead DragonThen I heard the beating of wings.

The miners were terrified, running chaotically when they should have fled for the safety of the mine, and the dragon was pursuing them like a terrier chasing after rats.

I could not stand there and do nothing. I cast a fireball at the dragon, drawing its attention. At the same time I yelled at the people to run for the mine.

Eventually one of them gathered the others and helped them get to safety, leaving me alone with the dragon. Its wing beats blew snow and dirt into my face, and every time it landed I staggered. Its breath seemed to borrow a blizzard’s winds, as if it could freeze me solid.

I was casting magic almost constantly, fireballs in one hand and healing in the other, praying to any god listening that I would survive the battle.

Then, it suddenly crashed to the ground and lay still. I couldn’t believe that it was dead. I couldn’t believe that I had killed it.

Its body self-combusted, leaving only bones. Then the smoke from those flames twisted around me like a whirlwind. I felt like every fiber of my being was on fire at once.

And then it was over, and I was left chilling in the freezing air and snow.

I don’t understand any of this. What has happened to me?

The miners have yet to emerge from the mine. I doubt anyone saw what happened.

It would best if I leave before they come outside and begin to ask questions I can’t answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment