Saturday, October 20, 2012

Diary Entry #1: Recovering from Surgery

25th of Sun’s Dusk, 4E 201

My head still aches from the surgery. The moment I reported to Legate Rikke in Castle Dour, I was ordered to visit the healers, who implanted the remote device for the Memory Crystal into my head.

I was strapped onto a bed, my head and neck immobilized. Then a healer firmly thrust a strange rod the width of a quill tip into my right nostril. He then did … something to his end of it, and suddenly I felt like my right eye would explode from its socket. There was no anesthesia. I remember screaming the worst profanities I knew, then I lost consciousness.

For two days afterward, the healers confined me to bed. Several times a day one of them would examine my head, nose, and eye and then pour some undoubtedly sewage-based potion down my throat in an attempt to ease the pain and prevent infection. I felt like my sense of taste would putrefy.

Someone then taught me how to use the Crystal. I’ve been told it’s the same kind Kethrina had, and that (with it being Dwemer technology) it’s awfully rare. I am uncertain whether to appreciate the honor. I wonder how Kethrina contended with this?

A healer gave me several pain killing potions before I left, but they’ve been mostly ineffective. A snow pack seems to be helping somewhat though. I truly hope the pain will dissipate within a week like the healers promised, it’s virtually impossible to concentrate with a throbbing headache that won’t go away.

How am I supposed to do my work with this?

No comments:

Post a Comment