Friday, November 2, 2012

Diary Entry #13: Dragonrend

3rd of Sun’s Dawn, 4E 202

These last hours have felt so surreal.

When I arrived at at the Throat of the World, Paarthurnax instructed me to read the scroll at the “time wound”, the exact point where the banishment ritual took place. I could see it, a circle of air that moved differently from the rest of the mountaintop. It felt strange to step inside it.

I paused for a moment, prayed, and then unfurled the scroll.

I was immediately transported to the past, and yet I wasn’t. I was watching everything through a screen, as if the Elder Scroll had become transparent, with various symbols flying through my vision apparently at random.

Dozens of dragons flew through the skies, their roars surrounding me. A few feet from me, almost close enough to touch, two heroes fought and killed one of the dragons. I was able to hear their names, Gormlaith Golden-Hilt and Hakon One-Eye, faced it bravely even in the face of its fire breath.

Bravely Fighting

Gormlaith delivered the death blow from atop its head, a move I felt was equal parts brave and insane.

After the dragon was dead, the pair were joined by an older Nord, Felldir the Old, who pulled out an Elder Scroll from his Greybeard robes.

Then Alduin himself attacked them, and it was that moment I heard the words of the first Shout created by mortals: Joor, Zah, Frul. It forced Alduin to crash land to the ground.

Dragonrend

Alduin was shocked and furious, and I watched the trio bravely fight him, but the effects didn’t last. Alduin grabbed Gormlaith and threw her to the ground like a terrier would a rat, and soon Hakon was crippled.

Finally Felldir used the Elder Scroll to banish Alduin. There was a sphere of green energy around the dragon, then he disappeared, and vision ended.

I was still recovering from the experience when Alduin arrived. Paarthurnax distracted him long enough for me to regain my bearings, saving my life.

The words of power erupted from my throat, and Alduin crashed to the ground in front of me. After that I didn’t waste any time, throwing everything I had against him until he collapsed.

Alduin acknowledged my strength, and then he fled. Paarthurnax told me he went to Sovngarde to devour the souls of the dead and grow stronger, but he didn’t know the location of the portal.

The only way I can follow Alduin is to capture one of his lieutenants and question him. Paarthurnax suggested using Dragonsreach, where Olaf One-Eyed captured and held Numinex.

This will be a challenge. No sane person is going to be eager to have a dragon in his city. Nevertheless, I don’t have a choice but to ask.

First though, General Tullius has ordered me to help regain the Rift, and Legate Rikke has specifically told me that she needs me.

I will assist Rikke, then request leave to ask Jarl Balgruuf to help me capture a dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment