Monday, November 5, 2012

Diary Entry #15: Final Duel

17th of Sun’s Dawn, 4E 202

We attacked Fort Sungard in the darkest of hours, yet the fort was lit brilliantly with mage lights.

By those lights, I saw who I had both dreaded and expected to see, Tel’kiira Kethrina, standing on the battlements above the gate. She was wearing Stormcloak armor, sans the helmet, and the mage lights reflected from her golden eyes. The other soldiers were giving her a wide berth.

Our eyes met, and we both knew the time had finally come.

I ordered the Legion soldiers to stay away from Kethrina and focus on the regular troops while I dealt with her. From the expressions on their faces, they were only too happy to comply.

The legionnaires rushed into the fort while I waited outside. Kethrina calmly descended the stairs and met me before the gate. We nodded respectfully to each other, and then we dueled.

We fought for hours. She had gained considerable power from vampirism, while I had cleansed myself of lycanthropy before arranging the peace conference. My magic skills were greater than hers, her melee skills were greater than mine.

But I had the the Thu’um. Her mastery of the Thu’um extended only as far as her basic education and what Ulfric could share with her. I, on the other hand, had been given instruction by the Greybeards, Paarthurnax, and the three great warriors of the first Dragon War.

That was then I did something I had never done except against dragons and their draugr servants, I used the Thu’um to fight, and I didn’t spare anything.

Even so, the duel was a difficult one, Kethrina was the most powerful and the most dangerous foe I had ever faced. It was only when I had called Odahviing and the valiant of Sovngarde that I was finally able to overpower her.

The sun’s rays were just beginning to rise when I looked down upon Kethrina’s broken body. She had sustained wounds that would have killed five men, yet she still lived, barely.

I knelt by her side and asked if she had any final requests. She whispered to me that she wanted to be buried next to Charlotte. I promised her that I would make that happen.

I then asked if she had any last words. She said she had none, save that she had no regrets. I nodded, promised I would see her in Sovngarde, then ended her life quickly with a stab to her heart.

I rose to my feet and looked around at the legionnaires who had been watching our duel with awe. I don’t think any had any idea just how powerful a Dragonborn was. All of them looked at me with fear.

I ordered two of them to prepare Kethrina’s body for transport and to treat it with respect. They quickly complied. Odahviing, who was still there, agreed to carry her and me to Solitude where Charlotte was buried, and I expressed grateful thanks.

It has been a long night, and a longer day. Styrr helped me make the arrangements, and now Tel’kiira Kethrina and Charlotte Corday lie side by side in death.

Alduin is dead. Kethrina is dead. The Reach is ours again. Ulfric is isolated in his hold.

I have no time to rest. General Tullius needs me to help prepare for the final battle and finally end this war forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment